About the Internship
The office of Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguin is seeking highly motivated and dynamic interns to make important contributions to the City of Berkeley in the areas of Environmental Planning and Policy Work.
Working in the Mayor's office is an excellent opportunity for those interested in city planning or public policy to get firsthand experience in a fast-paced governmental office, while directly improving the lives of Berkeley residents.
Our office is an open and collaborative place, and it is just as important to us to help you grow professionally as it is to ensure solid deliverables. Issues our interns have worked on have become city law. Most recently, interns developed economic policies, green building standards, amendments to the zoning ordinance to include urban agriculture, and detailed research and reports on homelessness.
The Environmental Intern will assist with the development and completion of policy related to urban agriculture, resiliency, renewable energy, green infrastructure and various other projects that are aimed at meeting our 2050 GHG emission reduction benchmarks
- Supporting the development of policy and mayoral plans through research, analysis, report and memo writing and legislation drafting.
- Contributing to our community outreach efforts, day-to-day constituent services and planning of events as needed.
- Attending and/or coordinating public meetings or events related to position. (Must be available some nights and weekends)
- Knowledge and experience with subject(s) above
- Interest in subject matter with a desire to learn more
- Excellent research, writing, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to prioritize workflow and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment
- Commitment of 10-20 hours per week (can extend into the summer or following year for those interested)
- Masters students preferred
Please send your resume, cover letter and writing sample (no more than two pages) to Karina Ioffee at firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions will be accepted until positions filled.