Join Us to Stand United Against Hate
Most of you probably know of the planned rally at Civic Center Park on Sunday, August 27. Despite the event being billed as an "anti-Marxist" gathering, we have great concerns that extremists will show up there and engage not only in hate speech, but violence.
So we’re standing up to hate. In recent weeks, community groups have prepared many positive events you can attend to show that intolerance, bigotry and racism have no place in our town. I also feel strongly that violence has no place in Berkeley. In his "I Have A Dream!" speech, Martin Luther King Jr. said that "we must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again, we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force."
This is something that I hope all of us reflect on today and in the following months as other events take place here. This week, we printed 20,000 “Berkeley Stands United Against Hate” posters that residents, business owners and others can place in their windows or in their yards to show their support for our city. (Pick up locations below.)
These posters will be available starting Thursday, at the below locations and times. If any location runs out of signs, please call Jacquelyn @ 510-981-7101 and they will be replenished. Volunteers are gathering on Saturday 2 pm behind City Hall to assist with hanging signs throughout town on light posts. Show up if you want to help – we need at least 50 people! And bring clear packing tape.
Finally, don’t forget to take a picture of yourself and your sign and post on our Facebook page!
Standing Together: Gatherings for People of All Faiths and Backgrounds to Affirm Our Values
Wednesday, August 23 at 7:00 pm
2808 Summit Street, Oakland
Sign Making and Art party for Rally Against Hate
Thursday, August 24 12-6pm
March Against Hate to Crissy Field
9:30 am 400 North Point St.
11 am on the Marina Green
Longshore workers' union and San Francisco community groups march to Crissy Field to protest white supremacist gathering.
Pray With Our Feet
Saturday, August 26 3-4:30 pm
Network of Spiritual Progressives and Beyt Tikkun
Bay Area Rally Against Hate
Sunday, August 27 10:30 am -12:30 pm
Addison and Oxford streets
Sanctuary Homes & Racial Justice Playdate
Sunday, August 27 10 am - noon
The Frog Park, 5353 Miles Ave. Oakland
Sunday, August 27 3-5 pm
1367 Valencia St. San Francisco
Event hosted by Showing Up for Racial Justice
Community Rally and Empowerment to Action
Sunday, August 24, 4:30-9:30 pm
First Presbyterian Church of Berkeley
2407 Dana Street (at Channing)
Underground parking available
RSVP here: http://bit.ly/2wC8mXv
Indivisible Berkeley will host prominent community civil rights leaders and activists for a supportive, empowering rally.
*Please note that large rallies come with inherent risk, so we ask that you exercise caution and stay safe.
WHERE TO PICK UP YOUR OWN "BERKELEY STANDS UNITED AGAINST HATE" POSTER
- North Berkeley Farmer's Market, Shattuck Ave. @Rose (Thursday afternoon only)
- Downtown Farmer's Market, Center Street @ Milvia (Saturday morning only)
- IronWorks, 800 Potter St.
- Inner City Services, 3286 Adeline St.
- Cheese Board, 1512 Shattuck Ave.
- Star Market, 3068 Claremont Ave.
- St. Clements Church Administrative Offices, 2837 Claremont Blvd
- Berkeley Bowl, West 920 Heinz St.
- Expresso Café Roma, 1549 Hopkins St.
- North Berkeley Senior Center, 1901 Hearst Ave.
- South Berkeley Senior Center, 2939 Ellis St.
- West Berkeley Senior Center, 1900 6th St.
- South Library, 1901 Russell St.
- Main Library, 2090 Kittredge St.
- Claremont Library, 2940 Benvenue Ave
- North Berkeley Library, 1170 The Alameda
- West Branch Library, 1125 University Ave.
- TBID, 2437 Durant Ave.
- Moe's Books, 2476 Telegraph Ave
- Games of Berkeley, 2510 Durant Ave.
- DBA, 2230 Shattuck Ave.
- Mike's Bikes, 2161 University Ave.
- Chocolate and Art Festival, North Shattuck/Gourmet Ghetto (Sunday only)
- BiRite Liquor & Store, 2495 Sacramento St.
- Berkeley City College, 2050 Center St.
- Ecology Center, 2530 San Pablo Ave.
- East Bay Community Law Center, 2921 Adeline Ave.
- Ed Roberts Campus, 3075 Adeline Ave.
- Urbann Turbann, 1870 Euclid Ave.
- Pegasus Books on Solano, 1855 Solano Ave.
- Northside Cafe, 1878 Euclid Ave.
- Menchies' Frozen Yogurt, 1862 Euclid Ave.