protecting our community >> sanctuary city >> know your resources

Know Your Resources

To report Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) activity, call 510-241-4011, the Alameda County Immigration Legal & Education Partnership (ACILEP) Hotline, for rapid response to ICE and provision of legal services.

In addition to calling the ACILEP hotline, you can text 877877 or call the United We Dream hotline at 844-363-1423.

For more information, click here to download our Know Your Resources guide. (Para ver nuestra Guia de Recursos en español, haz click aquí)


No matter who is our President, everyone living in the Unites States has certain basic rights under the Constitution, including undocumented immigrants.

  • Do not open your door - ICE must have a warrant signed by a judge with your correct name and address
  • You have the right to remain silent - do not answer questions
  • You have the right to speak to a lawyer - you may have them there during questioning
  • Always carry a valid immigration document with you such as a work permit or green card
  • If you are afraid you might be arrested by ICE let the officer know if you have children - ICE may exercise discretion and let you go if you notify them that you are a parent or primary caregiver of a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident
  • If looking for a family member of friend who has been detained visit



Develop a Family Preparedness Plan:

  • While we hope no family will ever have to use their plan, having one in place can greatly help in case of an ICE detainment.
  • Plans include developing a childcare plan, recording all emergency, family and medical contacts, ensuring all important documents are filed and accessible, and understanding your immigration options.
  • Access the Immigration Legal Resource Center Preparedness Plan at to begin planning today.

Establishing a Caregiver Authorization Affidavit (CAA) and Guardianship:

  • In California, a CAA allows another adult to make certain school and medical decisions on behalf of your child.
    • This form can be given to your child’s school or health care provider so decisions can be made in your absence without affecting your parental rights.
    • Access the form and instructions at
  • If you have a child in the Berkeley Public School District, you may also contact
  • Guardianship is when a court appoints a legal guardian for your child, however this cannot be done informally or at the last minute.
    • You can prepare a Form GC-211 that nominates a specific person as the guardian for your child, and can make it conditional in the case of your detention or deportation.
    • You should talk to an attorney before taking this step.